About Author

Shane Salvador

Shane Salvador

Shane Salvador is a social media enthusiast and a blogger. She has been working in the media industry for 5 years. When she is not ….

Learn More About Me
signature

Toxic Mold

Toxic Mold

There is a green monster that lurks in your home. Its sinister furryness multiplies to invade your home in the dark, damp places. Is it a monster under the bed? Maybe! I am talking about mold. You heard about it growing in homes and worry about your health and the health of your family. But mold is everywhere, even in the air, which is how it reproduces. Mold spores are in the air indoors and outdoors, and when they land on damp areas, they can begin to grow and thrive off of the moist surface. Mold can be harmful, but much of the indoor mold is harmless, unless you are asthmatic or have allergies. This mold typically grows in warm, moist, and low lighted environments with poor ventilation. But it is not toxic per se. It may, however, destroy your clothing, fabric shower curtain, dry wall, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, insulation, and wood surfaces in the house if it is not detected and taken care of in time. The term “toxic mold” is actually a misconception. The mold itself is not toxic. Toxic mold refers to mold that has the ability to produce toxins, or mycotoxins that can be harmful or even deadly to humans and animals.

Mycotoxins are toxic liquid or gaseous compounds given off by the mold. Mycotoxins can actually cause allergies and asthma in healthy adults and children. It is also responsible for many lung-related illnesses, and deaths. The toxin producing airborne mold spores can enter your home through doors and windows, heating and air conditioning vents, dryer vents, as well as any area that allows air flow from the outdoors. Toxic mold cannot always be detected by smell. Mold testing can be expensive, so you should have it done only if you have a specific reason to be concerned, such as flooding in the basement or pipe breaks and water leaks. If you lack a specific reason to need testing, you will probably benefit from purchasing a home testing kit, which is much lower priced. This will not only ensure your safety, but put your mind at ease. If you do find mold, you should never attempt to clean it yourself. This does not necessarily mean you need to call a professional for common bathroom mold (which can be cleaned with a bleach and water mixture), but if you find mold in bedrooms, carpets, walls, and other areas of your home like the ceilings, contact a professional immediately. Just a few hours of exposure to the mold can be enough to make you ill. It is especially dangerous to children and babies, elderly, pregnant women, people with respiratory problems, and those with weakened immune systems. If you need to be around mold for any length of time, wear a face mask, gloves, and tight fitting clothing (to avoid direct contact with the skin). Lastly, in order to determine if a mold is toxic or not you should have a look at mold inspection. This link will direct you to the website that will provide you will all the important tips and recommendations that you need in order to tackle these molds on your own.