Applying for a Family Child Care License in Hawaii

Applying for a Family Child Care License in Hawaii

Whether you are a stay-at-home mother that also wants to earn some income, or you simply love children and want to help them grow and develop in an intimate setting, becoming a Family Child Care Provider can be a satisfying career. There are many benefits, such as eliminating commuting costs and a business wardrobe and being able to deduct many household expenses when it comes time to file your taxes. Close relationships are formed with both parent and child since you are allowed only up to 6 children in your home. On the other hand, not everyone is able to deal with small infants and toddlers all day, with no adult conversation to break the monotony. Sometimes, people mistakenly believe that because they love children so much, this would be a perfect job and they forget that they still have to deal with the parents, and need other skills such as accounting to run their business efficiently.

The first step is to apply for your license. Until you are licensed, child care laws in Hawaii allows you to care for only 2 children that are not related to you. If they are your relatives, the number you can care for is unlimited. The application needs to be filled out and signed by both you and your spouse if married.

Secondly, you and your spouse will need to submit, along with the application, a current medical clearance examination statement signed by your primary physician. Any adult living in your household will also need to get a physical exam, along with any home-schooled children. You will also need a TB clearance, done either by chest x-ray or a TB skin test. Again, this includes yourself, spouse, all other adult household members, and any home-schooled children. If you are currently conducting child care, statements signed by the child’s physician for their physical examination, TB clearance, and immunizations current for their age-level need to be submitted as well.

Third, like any other job application, references, attesting to your ability to provide quality child care, are required. 2 letters from a friend, neighbor, professional child care provider or person in the industry, or parent of a child you have cared for will suffice. References from a relative will not be accepted.

Fourth, complete employment history for the past 3 years for you and your spouse, and all other adult household members will need to be submitted. If you were not employed within the last 3 years, a written statement to that effect and signed by you will suffice.

Finally, a criminal history check will need to be done on you, your spouse, and all adult members of your household. The usual method is done by fingerprinting or a name inquiry into state and national criminal history record files. DHS 948, which is the Consent To Release For Background Clearances And Disposition Of Findings form, will also need to be signed, to allow the Department of Human Services to review your criminal history records and states that any convictions will bar you from operating a child care business.

Once all of these documents are submitted, a licensing social worker will be assigned to you. He or she will then have 90 days from the date the completed application is received to come to your home to check for safety and regulations, and then issue a ruling on whether to grant you a license. After obtaining your license you can also check out daycare service providers such as to learn more about job opportunities. This will help you in getting regular offers for daycare jobs.